Llandybie RFC | 1st Team 19 - 16 Aberaeron RFC | 1st Team

Match Report
29 January 2017 / Team News

Raw Deal



The earlier encounter in September between these 2 teams had seen Aberaeron throw away a 17 point advantage to eventually lose by 4 points in the last phase of play so this game provided the Seagulls with the ideal opportunity to gain revenge, although there is little at stake in the final league standings with restructuring planned for next season.

It turned out to be a close hard fought game with a flurry of yellow cards dominating the clubhouse discussions after the final whistle. Aberaeron were unfortunate to be on the wrong end of some dubious refereeing interpretations, and in particular the new instruction on high tackles, which on this occasion resulted in 2 yellow cards for influential lock Tudur Jenkins, contrary to general consensus from both camps.

Nevertheless, having played for 60 minutes with 14 players, this was a truly brave performance with the lineouts functioning particularly well, Sion Evans being accurate throughout.

Aberaeron were quickly into the groove with an early penalty by outside half Rhodri Jenkins, and this was followed by a try from flanker Aaron Lewis, prominent throughout, resulting from a rolling maul. The reaction from Llandybie was instant with No 8 Rhydian Jones crossing and Aled Tomasson adding the conversion. Llandybie gained the advantage with a penalty minutes from the break, but Aberaeron then suffered the yellow card heartache with the referee brandishing a brace on the half time whistle .

The numerical supremacy was to prove crucial as Tomasson added another penalty only for Jenkins to hit back with his second. The home side's final penalty was the result of Jenkins second yellow card which was roundly contested and this opened up a 6 point margin.

Aberaeron came back strongly in the last quarter with Gethin Hughes and Alistair Severs carrying well and were denied twice by the referee who was unable to confirm the groundings in what looked perfect tries . They were finally rewarded following a lineout through prominent replacement flanker Dafydd Davies, but alas the elusive final points failed to materialise.

The points may well go the way of Llandybie but both sets of players and supporters were in agreement that they were fortunate that the success was ,heavily influenced by dubious refereeing decisions.

The youth team however had more success with a compehensive 7 try  40pts to 12 defeat of Haverfordwest, in front of a sizeble local support. Some excellent scores in vheavy conditions.


Players Fixture player info not published.

There doesn't appear to be any tagged photos.

Upload and Tag Photos